installing used hardwood floors

sdsnellAugust 4, 2012

We are new to this site and we are hoping someone will have some help on a situation: our neighbor recently replaced her hardwood floors and offered to give us her original hardwood flooring. It had been stapled down, so some damage, especially to parts of the edges that lock together, but we are hoping we can replace our laminate flooring with the used hardwood flooring. It is 3/4" oak. Can this be done? We have a slab foundation and were hoping to glue the hardwoods down. I like the finish of the hardwoods - they are hand scraped and the stain has quite a bit of variance in color. If we are able to do this, will we absolutely need to refinish them, or can we use them as is? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NWFACP

The NWFA guidelines do not recommend gluing 3/4" hardwood to concrete.Concrete always has some moisture in it if it is less than 4 1/2% measured with a moisture meter could be ok BUT biggest problem is getting 3/4" straight enough to stay together until the glue dries. Would suggest if you can get them to come together tightly use Bostik all in one adhesive as it will prevent up to 95% moisture from coming in contact with your hardwood floor.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™