Anyone on treatment for low progesterone?

sneakyplantMay 7, 2008

Before anyone says I posted this in the wrong topic let me say that I'm 28, not going through menopause. After 2 years of gaining weight, irritability, night sweats, lack of energy during day, being completely wired at night, lack of focus, and my all time favorite hot-flashes. I finally found a doctor in my area who believed that there was something wrong with me despite normal blood tests. My dr did hormone saliva testing and according to the results I have 1/3 of the progesterone I should. My estrogen level is within range so IÂm not suffering from estrogen dominance, just low progesterone. My dr has put me on a hormone cream made specifically for me by a compounding pharmacy. IÂd like to hear from others about their experience with hormonal issues. Please sure any stories or advice. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

This sort of thing happens. It's not always considered to be a problem except by those women being bothered by it. Creams are messy! I think I would rather have a few shots until the levels were built back up. But that's just my opinion. I know that not everyone agrees

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 9:59AM
lydia1959

I've been using progesterone cream for cramps for a few months now. I am AMAZED at how well it works!! I was taking between 4 and 10 Darvocet per period (for about 5 years) and my gyn threatened to quit prescribing it unless I had a hysterectomy. I read about the Progesterone, tried it and it really works. I put about a half to 1 teaspoon right on my lower abdomen and the pain goes away in about 15 minutes. I try to use it just 3 weeks of the month, but sometimes I use it during my period as well if I am having cramps. I'm nearing menopause, but not there yet.

The cramps did go away (pre-progesterone) once I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and on thyroid meds, but came back as soon as I started adrenal meds (which mess with the female hormones). So it's a good idea to check out the thyroid first (check antibodies too, and not just the tsh).

Also oral progesterone has to go through the liver, so really the over-the-counter cream is a better choice.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 8:02PM
Heather1970

I'm taking 200 mg of prometrium on days 11-16 of my cycle. My PMS (which was severe!) is gone, my periods are much shorter and much much lighter. I am very happy with it. And, just FYI, I'm 38.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
band aids
My dermatologist introduced me to Coverlet bandages....
shuffles_gw
Does anyone else have a problem with Dental X-Rays?
I am wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has...
Judith
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™