cataract surgery

emmaMay 6, 2013

Can you have a cataract removed without having a replacement lens put in? Can you still see properly? Will you need coke bottle lenses? My sis is going to do that because she thinks they will not last long and she had a terrible problem with the first removal and blamed it on the implanted lens. I think she just had a bad surgeon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

I don't think you can have cataract removed & not put in corrective lens. Both my parents had the surgery & dad's 1st 1 made things worse in that eye, 2nd surgery with different dr. & he could see birds, mountains, trees, air planes, He loved his "new"sight! Mom had both eyes done & helped her vision a lot, it has been several yrs now & I think she could use new eye glasses.. She could use better lighting in some areas of house too. Getting a good surgeon makes all the difference. So ask around & see who is really good & also try checking dr. out on the Internet.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 5:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

Sunny I have 2 sisters who really hate doctors, they think they can heal themselves with herbs. They think all doctors want is money and won't go unless they absolutely have to. My youngest told me she had bugs in her eyes and wouldn't go to an eye doctor until her son forced her to. It was a retina detaching.

I have had some doctors I didn't like because they push drugs on me when I tell them I won't take them, they also lied to me about side effects. I started looking for one who lets me make my own decisions, I found him. If I have a problem he suggests something and is okay with my decision not to take them.

I am a very high risk for cataract removal in my left eye. My optometrist told me we are lucky to have some of the best eye surgeons in the country here in our city. I didn't like the first one who evaluated my eyes. When I asked the odds of my surgery being successful he said 50 and 10%, then changed the subject and didn't explain the numbers. He sounded like a used car salesman. The next surgeon I went to told me exactly why I was high risk and said my chances of a success were 85% but also advised me to put it off until "I" felt it was time to do it. My optometrist will dilate my eyes every year and make sure I don't wait to long.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
Anyone have a hiatal hernia, need advice?
I have constant pain in my diaphram and I read on a...
love2sew
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
Does anyone else have a problem with Dental X-Rays?
I am wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has...
Judith
tough skin on feet
I have been to foot doc.and they say rhey don't know...
goldy
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™