Don't want transition piece between rooms!

shillyJuly 1, 2012

We would like to take down a wall between our dining room and family room...We had Robbins 1/2" engineered oak flooring (2-1/4") laid in both rooms 11 years ago, and they don't make that size anymore, just 3" now. There will be a gap where the wall was...So, is it possible to trim each side of the ends of the wood and then lay a replacement piece perpendicular instead of using a transition piece? Another option is to redo the dining floor with the same flooring but 3", but I still don't want a transition piece. Could a really good flooring guy do that? Thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

How about a half wall, leave it waist high?.. Minding this is not a load barring wall? Correct?....

Other options are to fill the gap with 3/4" ply then run a laminate over the rooms or take all the entire floor up and replace.

    Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Is your floor prefinished? Im assuming so. Todays theres hundreds of different flooring manf. It may be possible to match color or at least get it close. If not theres always the option of of feathering in 2 1/4 wood of the same style the sand and refinish. I guess theres more answers that are needed before a solid answer can be given. But a well trained / experienced floor professional can work wonders. And can make it seemless.

    Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 11:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The wall IS load bearing, so there will be 2 columns for support. My main concern was if it was possible to put more wood perpendicular between the two rooms...We have a whole box of the 3" wood,same company, color, etc., because we had our master bedroom done using it last year. That's how we learned the company no longer made the 2-1/4. I just wanted to make sure ANY wood could be laid in the gap, but running perpendicular to both rooms. That way, we wouldn't have to replace any of the existing flooring. Does "feathering" mean weaving more wood in? It's glued down, so can just some of it be pulled up without messing up a huge area?

    Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 11:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes thats what feathering means. Since its glued its going to be more work but you might find a pro for the right price. Although after reading their quote you may opt for a transition.

    Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 6:48PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™