Stolen Tissue

muddy_waterMay 19, 2006

So I have a spine surgery in Dec 04 and last week the Doc calls me and tells me I'm one of the people that recieved the stolen tissue out of New York. Now I have to go through bunch of tests. Anybody else have this going on in there mind. It's really hard to think about anything but that right now...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

I am assuming that the tissue you received is bone. My understanding is that cadaver bone is specially treated and sterilized because bone infections are so hard to treat. I have cadaver bone grafts in my neck. I was told that because the way bone was handled, there was practially no chance of having any reaction to it as a patient might have to other organ tissue. I wouldn't worry, he has to run the tests to make 100% sure.

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 8:16AM
muddy_water

Thanks for the reply...Yes mine also was in the neck and the other problem is, I have 1 area that did not fuse properly. So now I am worried about the grafts themselfs with no background information from the person the bone or grafts were taken from. I have no way of knowing if the bone was exceptible for transplant.Much less the possibility of contracting a virus.

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 9:05AM
agnespuffin

No surgery is ever 100% free of problems. A lot depends on the general health of the patient and, though we hate to think about it, the technique of the surgeon. A bone graft is dead tissue that forms the frame work for new bone to grow in and around. I was warned that sometime grafts didn't take and had to be repeated. I had to wear a neck brace for six weeks, night and day. My doctor scared the crap out of me about what would happen if I didn't.

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 10:28AM
agnespuffin

I can certainly understand your worry about this. I think your doctor is required to check you out to make very very sure that all is well. I was also told that bone, after being sterilized for grafts, is stored for six months. The chances of this bone, not being suitable is almost zero. I am sure that the receiving agency would have treated it properly regardless of where it came from. It's not like it was living tissue. Now, that would really be scary!

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
Gluten-free diet may do more harm than good
I'm not sure about you but I've been hearing from friends,...
Konrad___far_north
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
Suggest a remedy for chapped hand and breaking of nails
I am a working lady and my work is mostly on computer....
kalifa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™