Cork flooring surface came off with tape!

bishop8July 30, 2011

Hi there,

We just recently installed CorkArt cork panel flooring in our basement. Looks and feels great. About a week ago, the installers put down some cardboard - to protect the floor while the other trades were in/out - and taped it down with painters tape.

I went to go remove the cardboard/tape yesterday and, to my surprise, the tape took off pieces of the top layer of the flooring!! This was a surprise for a couple of reasons, namely: (1) why on earth would painters tape take off the flooring's finish layer, and (2) the flooring guy told me that the colour goes right through, so if there was ever any damage there would not be any discoloured areas -- well, there is. The tape couldn't have taken off more than 1mm, yet that area is quite a bit lighter than the flooring surface.

We're waiting to hear back from our installer, but has anyone experienced this before? What types of remedies should I be expecting, and what would be the preferable course of action?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Sounds like the tape pulled off the factory coating.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 9:18PM
woodfloorpro

"Tape issues

1. Not supposed to be used on flooring with coatings such as acrylic, polyurethane or wax.
2. It can be used on low gloss paint and LAMINATE FLOORING...
-- Not cork, wood or bamboo.

** It works by the tape surface easily lifting off it's own glue. When you pull the tape from the surface of the wood, it leaves the glue on the wood and the plastic tape comes off.
The flooring industry would refer to this as releasable adhesive.

The PROBLEM?
The adhesive is not the same gloss as the surface it was placed, leaving bands the width of the tape.
-- IF the tape is left on the floor too long it chemically and mechanically bonds to the surface (plasticizers) and is not possible to remove or remove the marks left by the tape."

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 9:32PM
bishop8

Thanks for the posts. The installer came by and said he'd never seen that happen before. He's contacting the manufacturer, but that we'll be 'taken care of' after the next stage of our reno is complete and we move out of the basement. He suspects it'll involve some coating of the entire floor, which he says is typically recommended anyway.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?
I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno...
laurarenos7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™