Does polished porcilean scratch?

breadandsuchJuly 2, 2011

Does anyone here have experience with polished porcelean? Iknow that if it scratches, you cannot buff it out. I want to know how easily it scratches. I have a busy household and alot of traffic, and I do not want to regret this decision. My second choice would be an eggshell porcelean.

Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cindyloo123

I don't know what you mean by polished. Do mean something that shines like marble? I've had a high gloss porcelain on the floor of my bathroom for four years. It's not a mirror finish but it is certainly much shinier than eggshell.

There is not a scratch on my tile. It gets HARD use. It is not unusual for me to find a piece of gravel on the floor, which means it was stuck in the treads of someone's shoe from my gravel driveway outside. If someone can walk on it with gravel in their shoe and not leave a scratch, I don't know what it would take to scratch it!

I was very surprised to learn after the tile was installed, that the shine is not expected to last forever! I think the materials I was given say it will last 10-15 years. I don't know what I'm supposed to do about that when it happens!

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 4:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Glazed porcelain is about as hard as glass.

While the glaze can be chipped(and the underlying porcelain cracked) it is that hard.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs
I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which...
swguru
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™