Easy to use, inexpensive software....

April02February 4, 2003

I consider myself a newbie, but I am interested in creating a website (blog) to use as an on-line journal including both text and photos. My visitors would be family and friends who are interested in keeping up with my life. (LOL)

I have used homestead and geocities, and currently tripod to host these simple sites, but since my internet provider gives us web space, I thought I'd create my own.

I have read through some of the other advice in this forum, but I am not sure which software would be best for me. I was planning on buying frontpage, until someone told me that there was a more user-friendly software out there for what I want to do. I don't want anything fancy- just an online blog-type journal, for personal use.

Any recommendations? (Since it is for personal use, and not a money making venture, I'd like to keep the cost down.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Two browsers have built-in HTML editors: Netscape and Mozilla. And both are FREE for the downloading from netscape.com or mozilla.org

Bookmark   February 5, 2003 at 6:15PM
maryanntx

April, Netscape Composer, which comes with Netscape, is very easy to use. I'll be glad to help you if you want me to. There are some very good tutorials online, but it is so easy to use that you should learn it in 10 minutes!!

Bookmark   February 5, 2003 at 7:17PM
Peggy_GA

If you've been using Tripod...have you seen their free templates? You could use them and change them to suit you in notepad.

Or use Eversoft's "1st Page 200" which is a free HTML editor. http://www.evrsoft.com/ I really like it and use it more than I do my Frontpage 2000.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eversoft

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 11:35AM
Peggy_GA

Ooops...that was suppose to be "1st Page 2000" not 200.

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 3:43PM
April02

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

Bookmark   February 8, 2003 at 11:25AM
gene

I was going to download the "Eversoft" program but it isn't available for downloads at this time. Anyone know why?

Gene

Bookmark   February 8, 2003 at 5:31PM
dan4985

They were suppose to come out with a new version early 2003.

Bookmark   February 9, 2003 at 2:59AM
Peggy_GA

Hmmmm, you're right....looks like they're getting ready to come out with a 2003 version and most of the download sites have already removed the 2000 version.

PC World still has it available, with a Note: "Vendor no longer supports this program." So if you don't want to wait on 2003, you could get it there.

Here is a link that might be useful: PC World

Bookmark   February 9, 2003 at 3:08PM
gene

Thanks, Peggy! I downloaded it so I can start learning. I like what I've seen so far.

Gene

Bookmark   February 10, 2003 at 9:36AM
April02

Be careful when downloading the eversoft program from PC World. As soon as I downloaded it, my Norton anti-virus found a virus in one of the files. It was a Js trojan called window bombs. I am hoping that our virus protector will prevent it from doing anything to harm our computer.

I doubt I will download anything from PC World anytime soon! That's scary!

Bookmark   February 17, 2003 at 5:58AM
Peggy_GA

That is scary, April....I think you should report it to PC World. I'm sure they would appreciate it, because I believe they state that all of their downloads have been pre-checked for viruses.

To be safe..one should always scan a download before installing.

Bookmark   February 18, 2003 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
bbcode2html
A post elsewhere got me playing around with the stream...
Richard (chuggerguy)
is there a free e-mail out there?
i'm looking for an alternative to the various 'free'...
Vinh
Links from an undesirable site
I don't know any where else to post this. I need some...
samtom_gw
Html Tag
What is the difference between strong and b tag? This...
puneetchauhan
Marble Countertop Help!!
Hi, I have recently decided to purchase a spec home...
monikaxp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™