Helping a Coworker who lost a daughter.

trilobiteAugust 1, 2007

A coworker recently lost her daughter in a car accident. The two of them were unusually close, even by mother/daughter standards. Her girl was becoming a young woman, about to go off to college and now she's gone.

How can I best support her? She is my closest work friend, but very reserved by nature. It is difficult to know how to talk to her, especially since our relationship is strictly within work and I think part of how she's "getting by" is by focusing on work and not thinking too much.

Right now, I am doing my best to be kind without making too big a deal out of being kind, if you follow me. But I would appreciate further advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doc8404

I lost a son 14 years ago and my wife in April. Probably the best thing would just be upfront with your friend about not knowing how to help and support her.

Some of the best things folks have said to me during both those times was along the lines of "I don't know what to do or say but can I help you in any way?" or "Please feel free to talk to me at any time about your child." If you ask her "How are you doing?" mean it and listen carefully to what she says and go from there.

Voice your fears to your workmate. Tell her, if this is how you feel, that you worry about upsetting her further or intruding into her personal life.

She'll tell you what she wants.

It's wonderful that you are wanting to help her out.

Doc

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 9:03AM
trilobite

Thank you for your response. I may write her a letter, something she can read and process on her own. Part of the problem is that we work in a very public location, there's always people coming in and out.

Also, she learned of her daughter's death AT work, in a very upsetting way. Everyone in our building knew within minutes what had happened. So I feel like she's already lost a lot of privacy and needs what little she has, if that makes sense.

I'm sorry for your losses Doc, many healing thoughts to you and your family.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 8:59PM
mariend

I hope she is getting grief counseling, or in a support group. A brief letter/card is good. That way she knows you do care and it is personal.

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
how to help a grieving mom
tomorrow I am going to visit my beautful cousin who...
homebodymom
Dad just passed away
My dad had a heart attack on Thursday January 22, 2015....
kissfan1
i have never felt so alone lost and frightened
i too lost my husband. he was 37 when he passed. due...
BewilderedShock
hard to let go
I lost my husband of 37 years in just 3 weeks of finding...
greendalelady
Pennies
I have recently lost my husband in April. October 16...
mnsara
Sponsored Products
3 Lights Girls' Dress Theme Chandelier for Children's Room
ParrotUncle
Hampton Bay Lamps Highgate 71.5 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Mercury Glass Font Floor
$66.97 | Home Depot
European Cottage 9 Drawer Dresser - STAN3145
Hayneedle
'Daughter' Angel Figurine
$19.99 | zulily
Four Leopard-Print Placemats - BROWN/BLUE
$75.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Sumak Grey 3 ft. x 5 ft.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™