Lingering intestinal 'bug'

jennApril 13, 2006

Does anyone know if there is an intestinal virus going around that exhibits very mild symptoms at first and gradually gets worse (but not very bad) over the course of the first few days, instead of getting better? That is how I would describe my symptoms.

It seems that if it was due to something I ate, it would start out bad and gradually get better. Each day, the symptoms are a little worse instead of better. I can't remember ever experiencing a pattern like this.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

jenn, have you taken any antibiotics lately? sometimes a person can get similar symptoms when the antibiotics kill off the "good" intestinal bacteria.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 8:35AM
lazy_gardens

What prescription and non-prescription meds are you taking?

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 9:39AM
jenn

No, and none.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 11:15AM
agnespuffin

hmmm, I agree, if it were a case of bad food, you would think that it would be getting better. If you don't see any improvement by Monday, maybe a call to your doctor might be a smart thing to do. Anyone else in the family having problems?

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 1:15PM
jenn

No one else. I thought maybe it was due to some cookies I made with dried fruit, but Hubby also is eating them and he has a much more sensitive digestive tract than I do.

He bought some yogurt for me to eat... hopefully, that will help a little.

Thanks,
Jen

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 2:35PM
agnespuffin

The only other thing that I can think of is the possibility that you ate a lot of unusually fatty foods and for some reason or other, (goodness knows the digestive track gets tricky at times) perhaps the stomach/gall bladder isn't functioning as it should.
Sure hope the yogurt helps.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 3:00PM
jenn

Now that's a thought. I haven't been sick for quite a while yet I've been exposed to everything. Whatever I had before then was a very mild version of whatever it was, so mild I wondered if I was really sick at all. This could be another very mild case of something. Sometimes I just wish whatever I have would get on with it so I'd know if I am really sick and what I have! :-)

Jen

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 4:20PM
marilyn_c

Do you think you might have an ulcer?

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 1:30AM
jenn

Marilyn: That's possible... is this a symptom of that? It's no worse today, not necessarily better. It's intermittent and I feel perfectly fine in between, except for occasional crampiness -- no fever, plenty of energy, etc. Just have to stay close to home, that's all.

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 11:52AM
marylmi

Might be a light case of IBS?

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 11:14PM
jenn

As far as I know, I don't have IBS.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 3:10PM
jenn

Mystery solved! I learned yesterday that many people at work had the same experience with no other symptoms, and all to varying degrees. Yet, I have not been around any of those people for months, so I didn't catch it from them. I must have picked it up when I was out shopping last weekend.

Jen

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 8:10PM
jenn

... or, rather, the weekend before last, since it began a few days before last weekend.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Suggest a remedy for chapped hand and breaking of nails
I am a working lady and my work is mostly on computer....
kalifa
Chronic tonsillitis after mono?
Hi everyone, My almost 20 year old daughter had mono...
catherinet
Chronic Chapped Lips
I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since...
ms_minnamouse
I have RLS (Restless Leg syndrome) .... anyone else taking this drug ?
Anyone suffering with Restless Leg syndrome? I have...
vieja_gw
Tennis Elbow
Was just dx with a tennis elbow...Besides taking the...
anicee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™