Do I have Hypothyroidism?

tekisuiApril 7, 2008

Hello everyone,

I recently got my thyroid bloodwork back and the tests are as follows:

TSH 3.06

T3 7.6

T4 35

I have horrible sometimes severe hypothyroid symptoms. I have not had my antibodies checked, is it possible that I have hypothyroid with normal bloodwork? Which antibodies tests should I request from my doctor? Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quirk

Antibodies don't have anything to do with your thyroid, they are an indicator that you have or had an infectious disease, and what antibody to be tested for would depend on which disease you suspect you might have.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 3:54PM
lydia1959

Your TSH is slightly high going by new standards which say it should be less than 3.0.

Ignore Quirk. Have your TPO and Thyrogobulin antibodies checked. People with Hashimotos or Graves disease will almost always have high levels of these. Hashimotos Hypothyroidism is a autoimmune disease in which the antibodies mistakedly attack our thyroids.

Don't let your doctor skip the antibody testing. LOTS of people (me included) will have low or normal TSH, but have very high antibodies.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 4:55PM
quirk

ok, sorry.

I assumed tekisui's dr had mentioned tests for antibodies against something like Lyme disease which cause similar symptoms to hypothyroidism (fatigue of course being a primary one). Didn't realize there were also antibodies specific to the thyroid diseases.

my bad. a quick google search on hashimoto's reminds me of the cliche about assuming...

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Allergies
I have allergies all year around and nothing I take...
berk
Gluten-free diet may do more harm than good
I'm not sure about you but I've been hearing from friends,...
Konrad___far_north
Chronic tonsillitis after mono?
Hi everyone, My almost 20 year old daughter had mono...
catherinet
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
Weird Situation
Note: This question is asked on behalf of friend One...
Jikoimary
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™