tinnitis & loss of smell?

vieja_gwApril 14, 2006

I always have had a very acute sense of smell but now after a fall in which I hit the back of my head I have lost all of the sense of smell .. how I miss the aroma of fresh coffee, perfume, flowers, ...!! MRI didn't pinpoint a problem. I have been taking zinc tabs., Vit. B6 tabs and Vit. B12 injections to see if they would help. Occasionaly, I will get just a 'whiff' of something for an instant but nothing like normal. I also now have a non-diabetic foot neuropathy (redness, swelling, burning' sensation)after the fall.

Prior to the fall I have experienced tinnitis in both ears and 10% hearing loss in one ear that has gotten worse ... can damage to the auditory nerve cause this?

It is so frustrating when the Dr. has no answers to my questions re- these problems!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yborgal

There have been recent reports citing Zinc as a contributing factor in instances of loss of sense of smell. Interesting that you mention you've been taking Zinc tabs. Were you taking them before your fall?

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 9:13PM
vieja_gw

No, I hadn't read the reports about zinc ... the neurologist suggested taking the zinc and the vitamin B6 and B12. I had no problems with the loss
before the fall. I remember years ago i lost the sense of smell for a short period after a bout with the flu and taking zinc seemed to help bring back the sense of smell completely that time.

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 8:06PM
lee676

Although it's not the indicated use, alprozalam (Xanax) has been shown to reduce tinnitus in many people who take it (about .5mg 2x/day). I've been using it for that purpose and it seemed to help some, although its efficacy wears off with repeated use after 1/2 year or so.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 11:46AM
vieja_gw

lee676: Do you also have a loss of hearing with the tinnitis? I can't really say if the two came on at the same time in me but both happened before the fall, the loss of smell afterwards. Funny, Drs. just say "get a hearing aid" without determining the cause! They ask if the tinnitis is in both ears? .... gosh, can you tell? I THINK it is in both ears as I hear it when ever I close either ear.

Thanks for the info. re- Xanax ... worth a try!

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 6:54PM
lee676

Left ear has tinnitus (from loud nearby noises), right ear much less noticable. Marked dropoff of high level freuqencies in the left ear. I've never tried hearing aids or T maskers.

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Chronic tonsillitis after mono?
Hi everyone, My almost 20 year old daughter had mono...
catherinet
shingles
i've been told if i don't move around so much that...
brightmoregirl
tough skin on feet
I have been to foot doc.and they say rhey don't know...
goldy
Right side chest pain only at night when sleeping
Hi Everyone, I've done some research, and have found...
SconsinKid
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™