Has anyone used MoveableType service before...seems quite good and am looking for pro/con opinions.
Here is a link that might be useful: MovableType.org
Check the requirements, and ask your ISP (rackspace.com? laughingsquid.net?) if they allow it or will load it up for you. It's a decent program, but like any server-based freeware, not exactly easy to get going.
* A web server with permissions that allow you to run custom CGI scripts
* Perl, version 5.004_04 or greater, configured for your web server
* An FTP program to upload the necessary files to your web server
* Any standard web browser on Windows, Mac OS, or Unix/Linux with J/*ava*script and cookies enabled
* Support for the DB_File Perl (Berkeley DB) module OR the MySQL database & DBD::mysql
I think I will have them do the install for me, the host does support the requirements. Perhaps sometime at the end of the month.
I've opted out from moveable type and instead went with an ultimately more expensive but highly controllable discussion center. I didn't have to install anything and just link to it from my website. However, it is not an immediate "touch and go", there's been a lot of programming and adaptions to make it fit to my mold. This has much more possibilities than a blog. I used EZboard and went with the Gold package.
Thanks for letting us know what you ultimately did. I know you didn't get much feedback, but your experience helps educate others who happen to be reading this.