What should we purchase first?

BillCJanuary 16, 2003

What should we purchase first? The domain name or the Domain site? I guess this may sound stupid but IM a rank novice. Thanks Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prettyphysicslady

It doesn't matter.

Often when you rent the site, they will take care of registering your domain name and setting up the name servers for you.

If you get the name first, you can still probably have the domain site set up the name servers for you.

Either way. I think site then name would be slightly easier but not worth worrying about.

Bookmark   January 16, 2003 at 6:11PM
lazy_gardens

You don't "buy" a site, you rent space somewhere for it. Even the domain name is merely leased ...

pair.com has excellent service, and will combine registration with setting up server space and emails.

Bookmark   January 17, 2003 at 9:12AM
BillC

Thanks for your replies. You guys are very kind. I don't move very fast but when I get started I'll let you know. The site will be used for Historic Photos of my home town, an IM an amateur wildlife Photographer. Posting these Photos is the only HTML that I know, Bill

Bookmark   January 17, 2003 at 2:33PM
Ray_Scheel

I'd get the name first. The setup processes for many of the discout hosting services require you to already have the domain name you are going to use, so you wantot make sure that no one beast you to purchasing that name (or already has a lock on it). But it also simplifies thing to ahve picked your hosting provider, but just don't sign up.

1. Find DNS numbers / names for desired hosting provider
2. Register domain name & supply DNS info for hosting provider
3. Purchase hosting for your new doman name.

You can also go back and change the registrar's DNS info after signing up for hosting.

Bookmark   January 17, 2003 at 3:11PM
prettyphysicslady

I agree, if you are not in a hurry to set up the site but have a name in mind, I would grab the domain name, they go quickly. It is cheap and you can sit on it for a bit while you decide what to do about the site.

Bookmark   January 17, 2003 at 9:12PM
msmary_socal_9

I just went thru this and with the right advise it was very simple. I bought my domain name at DirectNic.com and built my website at Boomspeed.com. It was so simple to do the re-direct at no extra charge. Just besure and read all the fine print and ofcourse the TOS when you buy your domain. Some places expect you to use them for everything and tack on extra charges for each thing like the domain name, web space and if you do not use their space they will charge for the re-direct. I paid $15.00 (per year & no charge for re-direct) for the domain and $6.00 per month for my web space & storage. Not bad when I checked into some of the others. Good Luck with that :o)

Bookmark   January 19, 2003 at 1:28AM
More Discussions
seo
My client website has hit down after google Penguin...
Tinaustin
How to embed animated Gifs onto GW?
I tried posting the way chuggeryguy which worked for...
ladyrose65
is there a free e-mail out there?
i'm looking for an alternative to the various 'free'...
Vinh
work-at-home websites...are they all scams?
Are there any legitimate work-at-home websites that...
donnas_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™