Question about style sheets

netlaJanuary 8, 2003

I update the backgrounds for my cooking website on a seasonal basis, and I have been trying to use an external style sheet in order to do this more quickly, but I don't seem to be able to make it work - that is, it works fine on my computer, but when I've uploaded it to the server, it doesn't work. Any suggestion as to why? I'm using FrontPage 2000.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ray_Scheel

Have you uploaded a current copy the stylesheet itself, and is the link to it possibly using a local path instead of a relative path?

To invoke a stylesheet called "mainstyle.css" sitting in the root folder of a website, the call to the stylesheet within the header should resemble the following (enclose in angle brackets):

link rel="stylesheet" href="mainstyle.css" type="text/css

If you are trying to invoke the stylesheet form a subdirectory, put a "../" in front of the name of the stylesheet for each directory down you go.

Ther are many, many, bad coding practices that look like they work within FrontPage (or are even done *by* FrontPage) that do not work (well) when placed on a properly functioning webserver.

Bookmark   January 8, 2003 at 2:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
netla

I'll check this out - I used the "link styles" command to put in the link to the style sheet and FP may have messed something up (or I might have).

Bookmark   January 9, 2003 at 3:52AM
More Discussions
HTML link test
Does HTML work?
patchyjack
Richard (chuggerguy)
Theming using an external CSS stylesheet.
This thread is styled externally using CSS (Cascading...
Richard (chuggerguy)
seo
My client website has hit down after google Penguin...
Tinaustin
help posting links to gardenweb
Hi all, Am feeling a bit dense here. May I ask for...
radley
Sponsored Products
Sage Extra-Soft Microfiber Sheet Set
$19.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Cut Circle Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Warehouse of Tiffany Chandeliers Cleave Crystal 5-Light Chrome Chandelier
Home Depot
Authentic Models Chopin's Desk
Beyond Stores
Solid Ivory Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set
$44.99 | zulily
Cloudburst 500 Thread Count Hemstitch Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Royal-Pedic Cloud Pillow Top Mattress - 800IT CLOUD PILLOWTOP - MATTRESS ONLY
Hayneedle
Luxor Treasures 400 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Striped Pillowcase Set - 400SDP
$16.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™