What is ''dark chocolate'

albert_135April 26, 2007

When articles or TV shows talk of "dark chocolate" in a health and nutrition context are they talking about something labeled as such at the supermarket?

If I go to the store do I have to read the fine print or are all the things labeled "dark chocolate" really just that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolmama

Uh,I'm not sure. I think they mean any kind of dark chocolate ,however certain ones are more "pure" than others. Something like,the higher the percentage of real cocoa beans,the better it is for you.How you find this out,I have no clue.

I love dark chocolate though......

Are you asking just to start eating some? Or because you need to add some to a receipe?

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 5:16PM
carla35

I think I recently heard somewhere that the healthy stuff was the 70% cocoa stuff...you can find 60% a lot of places...both are kind of bitter, still good though.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 6:42PM
carla35

yep, 70% is what I heard...here's an article about it. If it doesn't mention the cocoa amount on it, my guess is it's probably lower. I've been buying more expensive type bars at 70% and they are a little more bitter than the usual dark chocolate. I know some people eat the straight totally unsweetened stuff...not sure I could handle that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Heart Health

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 6:54PM
babysmaid

If you have a Trader Joe's near by they have really good dark chocolate for little money. They even offer organic.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 9:45PM
lindac

Dark chocolate is labeled "dark chocolate"...even Hershey's kisses come in dark...
The milk in milk chocolate inhibits some of the flavinoids in milk chocolate...60% chocolate liquer is usially the percentage in semi-sweet chocolate, 70% is typical for bitter sweet, usually made palatable by adding milk and sugar.
Also Dutch processing (addition of alkali) inhibits the flavonoids in chocolate.
Chocolate, all of it contains flavonoids...but the milk chocolate bars and those containing "chocolate flavoring" contain enough sugar, hydrogenated coconut oil and "stuff" to negate the good about the chocolate.
I love a Dove, dark 62% chocolate bar.....I hope it's good for me because I am eating it any how!
Linda C

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 10:39PM
albert_135

Thanks, just curious.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 2:54PM
albert_135

I was curious about this for weeks. Yesterday I remembered to ask here. Today, washingtonpost.com said 70%. VBG etc.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 3:02PM
catherinet

I never used to like dark chocolate, but since I've heard of its health benefits, I try to eat it instead of milk chocolate. One very interesting thing.........milk chocolate gives me headaches, but dark chocolate doesn't. Same was true with a friend of mine who also had migraines. Interesting.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
question about anesthetic during hip replacement...
Hi all - I'm having a total hip replacement in August...
Vicki_IL
"Medicare Demystified"
A few minutes ago I saw a post from about six weeks...
Lindsey_CA
I have RLS (Restless Leg syndrome) .... anyone else taking this drug ?
Anyone suffering with Restless Leg syndrome? I have...
vieja_gw
L-dopa Rx replacement for RLS anyone?
Anyone have RLS (restless leg syndrome)? I have been...
vieja_gw
Sponsored Products
Sample-dark Emperador 2x4 Brick Beveled Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Purelife Matrix Sofa Table
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Penafiel Chocolate 7' 9" Round
Home Depot
Linon Vega 30 in. Bar Stool - Myrtle Jet - 14054BRNTW01U
$117.99 | Hayneedle
Thorndale One-Light Bath Light in Dark Noble Bronze
$91.90 | Bellacor