Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?

tigerninetyDecember 4, 2012


I've read that some jurisdictions require that speaker wire running in enclosed walls be in-wall speaker wire, rated CL2 or CL3.

I'm open to all kinds of views on this, but I'm specifically wondering if anyone knows if this is required in Montgomery County, Maryland (or where specifically I can find this information)?



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ya, most jurisdictions want the fire-rated jacket in the walls. In my area (Northern California) I haven't come across an AHJ who gave a rat's patoot about speaker wire rating.

Call your local permitting office and ask to speak to an inspector - they will tell ya. Good Luck!

    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You'll find that using conventional speaker wire isn't a good idea when running wires through walls because the insulation on most speaker wire will break down over time. CL2 and CL3 wire is easier to pull, and has 2 layers of insulation that mitigate against breakdown over time.

    Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 9:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think you may required.

    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 1:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Tigerninety, I'm also in Montgomery County and facing the same issue. Did you discover any rules/guidelines?

    Bookmark   October 19, 2014 at 11:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I use 14 ga building wire; do you think that might be a problem in some jurisdictions?

    Bookmark   December 13, 2014 at 5:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The quickest way to find out is call the building permit office for the city or county where you live.

Note, on the last question, if it's not specifically addressed in the codes, things like this are often at the discretion of the inspector. Of course if the office tells you it's OK and you document that (write down a name and date) and the inspector rejects it, you can explain that you asked first.

    Bookmark   March 3, 2015 at 12:16PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Upgrading speakers in FR -- stick with Bose?
We do most of our TV viewing in our Family Room. Recently...
White flat-screen TV
We are looking for a white flat-screen 32-40 inch LED...
Wireless cable/satellite boxes?
We are planning on putting our TV above our gas fireplace....
Small Stereo Speakers
I want to buy a pair of small stereo speakers. I am...
Where to put speakers -- for music and movies?
Hello, I'm totally coming into this late in the process....
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Gobi Wool Rug
Serena & Lily
Bexley Outdoor Rug
$345.00 | FRONTGATE
LBL Lighting | Lola Bath Light
$800.00 | YLighting
Metal Creations Sassafras Twig Wrought Iron Wall Coat Rack - 901325
$215.78 | Hayneedle
PlateBowlCup Serving Bowl by Alessi
$30.00 | Lumens
Plush Decorative Leopard Star Throw
Emblem Forest Green 12-Inch Outdoor Wall Light
$215.95 | Bellacor
Black Multi-Blender 15-Piece System
$24.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™