AntiqueRCA Victrola Help Needed

criticalmass048December 21, 2012

Not sure if this belongs with "Antiques", "Home Ent" or "Electronics"... oy. Here goes!

We picked up an antique 1920ish RCA Victrola VV-240 a few weeks ago and fixed it up. When we tried to play a record, however, the needle would carve a groove, chisel out some vinyl, and slow down to a halt. I found out that these needles wear out after only one record, so I ordered new needles which just arrived today. I put one in, and while it doesn't ruin the record, it still comes to a halt in about 5 seconds. The wife plans to show this off for Xmas, so I need to get it working! Thanks.

Oh yeah, before you ask, she swears it worked fine in the antique store (I wasn't there, naturally!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

Don't know if you got this resolved or not, but hope your Christmas was good anyway!

I have restored quite a few "antique" turntables over the years but maybe only 3 or 4 of the really old Victrolas. They required many hours of careful cleaning, lubrication and adjustment to get them working properly again - but afterwards they all worked great - just not something that can be rushed!

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Which Gaming System is the Best: Game Cube, Play Station or XBox?
Which do you think is the best and why? What games...
cupofkindness
Seeking layout suggestions
So we are not fond of our current media setup in our...
tkstock
DVR with disk burner?
I'd like to buy a hard disk recorder to record over...
ionized_gw
Help with mounting a TV in my Breakfast Nook
Hi all, The photo above is the Breakfast Nook in my...
mwkbear
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.
Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound...
bafeuer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™