Older VHS tapes

bus_driverDecember 10, 2009

This forum apparently has relatively few regular readers, but maybe this will help someone. Back in the early days of home VCRs, tapes were expensive, easily $6.00 or more each. And wages were then considerably less also. I recorded most of the time at EP/SLP for those reasons. I kept many of the tapes and now am transferring some of them to DVD to minimize storage space. It seems that tapes recorded at EP/SLP on the really old machines may not play well at all on some newer VCRs. The tape may appear to be bad when it is not. Terrible picture quality. I found an old discussion of this on a forum archive. I have 4 different brands of VCR here and simply using a different VCR usually solves the problem. Not convenient to switch hookups, but necessary. So don't give up on an old tape, try a different player. Apparently no problem with tapes home recorded at SP.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Tracking differences and head wear. The tape runs slower at EP, much slower at SLP, than at SP, tracking accuracy is more crucial at the slower speeds.

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 4:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

My observation is that the VCR speeds are SP, LP, and SLP/EP, the SLP and EP designations being dependent on the manufacturer. Some units do not offer LP recording, but will play tapes recorded at that speed.

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
Nielson Ratings
Has anyone been chosen to do the Neilson Ratings? I...
berk
Internet choices few
For my under-construction home, I have few internet...
mtvhike
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.
Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound...
bafeuer
plasma tv opinion
i'm thinking of a big screen plasma for my next tv....
jeff-1010
Seeking layout suggestions
So we are not fond of our current media setup in our...
tkstock
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™