Carpet Experts: Nylon v. Poly?

gus5July 3, 2012

We are building a new home and are installing carpet upstairs in the hallway and bedrooms. My builder typically installs a polyester (Shaw, Chadwick II) but the carpet guy is steering me towards Nylon. I just did some research to find out if one is more environmentally friendly but I couldn't glean that. Also, I'm now more confused about the differences between the two! Any opinions/expertise is welcome!

On a side note...I'm cringing as I research carpets because I feel like we will be walking (and laying) on chemicals! I should probably look at wool but I'm allergic to wool. Am I crazy? Any reassurance out there for me?! =)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DanG4

many polys come from recycled pop bottles so yes, more environmentally friendly. Nylon traditionally wears better however I don't know the construction of the Shaw product you mentioned. Friezes are very good for wear. Polys traditionally do better on stain resistance and for fading, however nylons are normally the 'better' choice. Almost all new carpet is 'green' in terms of chemicals etc.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Kentwood Hardwood Flooring
Has anyone installed wood flooring from Kentwood? If...
MichelleDT
'Nature' Brand Wood Flooring
I'm looking for either Brazilian Walnut or Brazilian...
justhuff
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™