Friend Dying

popi_gwAugust 7, 2007

I have an older friend, a gentleman, who is dying from cancer.

I greatly admire this person, and his wife and know that I must phone them and visit.

But I just don't know what to say...

What does one say to a friend who is dying ?

This man is 76, so he has had a wonderful life.

Thanks for advice.

POPI

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones

Popi, call and say 'I just heard the news about ... - is there anything I can do to help you?

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 9:50PM
Jillofall

Talk about the good times. Remind him of the fun you've had together. It will take his mind off of the obvious and hopefully make him smile and realize that he really has had a good life. I can't believe all the wonderful things said about one of my friends AFTER he was dead. Say those things now. --Kris

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 3:18PM
wodka

Several years ago I had a dear, older friend who was diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer. She had moved to another town, and was too ill to have visitors. So one night, I found a beautiful card, and wrote of my admiration and love for her, and how she had such a profound influence on my life. Sometimes we feel funny or embarrassed to open or share our feelings this way, but I was so glad I did. I called a few weeks later and her daughter answered the phone, who told me how much the card meant to her mother. When her mother realized it was me, she asked for the phone and we got to say our goodbyes.

Last year, on September 16, my dad also died of cancer. We are a big family, so the last week of his life was in hospice, and there was never a chance to be with him by himself. But one day, Mama and my sister decided to make a quick trip home to check the mail, wash some clothes, etc., and it was just me and Daddy. I cut the tv off, held his hand, kissed his forehead, and through my tears, told him how much I loved him, how much he meant to me. I'm crying now as I think of his sweet face smiling at me. I know I am blessed that I had that time with him and I will treasure it the rest of my life.

Bookmark   August 16, 2007 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Feeling guilty because I miss my dog-Part 2
Three years ago today, I lost my beloved dog Homer....
kms4me
Loss of Adult Son
Lost adult son one day into his thirtieth year this...
sewluv2
Memorial Scholarship
Greetings, Does anyone have any experience setting...
xminion
hard to let go
I lost my husband of 37 years in just 3 weeks of finding...
greendalelady
Losing Someone to Suicide
I once had a roommate, call her Yvonne, who was bi-polar; when...
sylviatexas1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™