Wireless sound bars

jimbo1937December 19, 2010

Are wireless sound bars for T.V. truly wireless except for possibly electrical hookup? Is there anything that needs to be hooked to the T.V?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

The "wireless" portion of wireless sound bars typically only refers to the sub-woofer and/or rear surround speakers. And then, wireless only refers to not having to run speaker-wire connections to each speaker, however, each speaker (or their common amplifier) will still require AC power for their built-in amplifiers.

The sound bar is connected to both AC power and the audio line level (or digital audio) outputs of the television. It then amplifies the front/center channels which the internal speakers of the sound bar output, and sends the sub-woofer/rear channel signal to the wireless speakers via a RF (radio frequency) signal. Some don't use rear speakers but instead create "virtual" rear speakers that appear to come from behind.

While direct wiring of rear speakers from a home theater receiver provides the best sound quality, there are situations, such as a home built on a slab foundation with a raised ceiling, where wireless rears provide an economical alternative.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
What do I need to know to buy a wall mount?
I have been looking at a swivel wall mount for a new...
redcurls
Seeking layout suggestions
So we are not fond of our current media setup in our...
tkstock
Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?
Hello, I've read that some jurisdictions require that...
tigerninety
Midcentury decor - suggestions for media stand
My son has a very large flat screen TV with components...
bichonlover3
any use of ntsc tv tuner
I still have a NTSC TV tuner for the computer. With...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™