Anybody compared 52' Sony LCD vs 58' Panasonic Plasma?

chiefneilDecember 2, 2007

On paper the Panasonic looks better - plasma plus a bigger screen. But side by side in Circuit City, the Sony has a brighter, sharper picture. I don't know if this is due to calibration/settings on the individual sets on display or not. With ESPN HD football on, I didn't see any of the typical drawbacks of LCD - no ghosting, the screen was still bright and clear off-axis, and blacks looked as good as the plasma.

I'm going to find another store to compare, but I'm curious if anyone else has done a side by side evaluation of these two sets. I'd prefer the bigger Panasonic, but the image on the Sony was really noticeably better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judiegal6

We've had the Panasonic 58" for about 8 months now and love it. The picture is fabulous but we didn't compare it to the Sony. We found a great Entertainment center for it also. We wanted a piece of furniture with doors you could close not a platform. It was hard to find in that size but "Hooker" furniture had some nice ones. Good Luck.

Bookmark   December 9, 2007 at 4:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chiefneil

Thanks for the feedback judiegal. I finally pulled the trigger on the 58" Samsung plasma. I still prefer the image on the lcd sets (brighter, sharper), but I really wanted the bigger screen. Hopefully I'll be happy with the Samsung and won't get upgrade fever when they start making 60" lcd tv's!

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Help with mounting a TV in my Breakfast Nook
Hi all, The photo above is the Breakfast Nook in my...
mwkbear
White flat-screen TV
We are looking for a white flat-screen 32-40 inch LED...
sleers
Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?
Hello, I've read that some jurisdictions require that...
tigerninety
Speaker Placement for multiple watching configurations
We have a minor dilemma about where to put our speakers. Our...
Fynite
Midcentury decor - suggestions for media stand
My son has a very large flat screen TV with components...
bichonlover3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™