Can cable TV be wireless?

ncamyNovember 7, 2011

We have bought an old house with difficult to patch plaster walls. The problem is I'm not sure how to handle the cable for the TV. There is cable in the bedrooms but not on the wall where I need it plus I really would rather "hide" the cable boxes and even the DVD/bluray player. Is there a way I can do this wirelessly? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

While there are 60 GHz wireless solutions for HDMI connections between sources and the television, from various companies (I just last week saw one at Costco from Vizio) they still require AC power and HDMI connections to operate. And while good - they often are not perfect.

I'm not sure I understand your concern regarding patching the plaster walls. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, hire an experienced professional AV installer. There should not be any patching (usually) in running a drop within the stud cavity from the television to the equipment.

You already have to run electrical for an outlet up there for television AC plug-in anyway.

You can also use wire-mold covered plastic channeling, painted to match the wall, to run all the electrical and AV cables down the face of the wall.

As far as hiding the equipment - no problem - use IR extenders with the receiver mounted at the television, wiring run down the wall, and repeaters in your equipment cabinet.

This really is a very common setup that you, with a little basic instruction, or any qualified installer, should be able to handle.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
What do I need to know to buy a wall mount?
I have been looking at a swivel wall mount for a new...
redcurls
Which Gaming System is the Best: Game Cube, Play Station or XBox?
Which do you think is the best and why? What games...
cupofkindness
Small Stereo Speakers
I want to buy a pair of small stereo speakers. I am...
john_wc
Great solution for mounting TV over fireplace
Hi all, We just moved into a new house and unfortunately,...
chorchie
Help with mounting a TV in my Breakfast Nook
Hi all, The photo above is the Breakfast Nook in my...
mwkbear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™