Strange illness

berkApril 12, 2013

My daughter, who is 43 has had a terrible earache in the right ear plus her face is also numb on that side. She has had x-rays, CT Scans, blood work and so many other things I can't remember them all. She has seen a neurologist, 2 of them, been to Mayo Clinic, pain management and right now on 4 different medicines to try and stop the pain.
Mayo won't do surgery because it could cause her face to droop like a stroke would cause and afraid burning the nerve they think is causing this may not be the right one!
She can't sleep for the pain, no pain medicine they have tried helps her, this has been going on for about 8 months now..she is so miserable. Any one ever had this pain or heard of it?
TY

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

Maybe this is the results of bells palsy. My neighbor had it but the pain was in his face somewhere, not his ear. They had to cut the nerve that caused the problem. He had to be careful because his face was numb in that area, but the pain went away.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 9:38PM
yayagal

Have they checked for these two?
Acoustic Neuroma
Nasopharyngeal Cancer
Is she, by any chance, a scuba diver. If so,she should tell the drs.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:08AM
berk

Yes, she has been checked for the two and no she isn't a diver. Myself, I think the Bells Palsy, from what I have read could be it. The doctors at Mayo don't want to do surgery to cut a nerve because they are afraid it may be the wrong nerve and her face may be paralized on that side. Right now she is on 4 medicines and it has leveled it out where the pain is tolerable. I have saved info on Bells Palsy just incase. TY

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
Blood pressure cuffs in the hospital
I was in the ER a couple of times for pain in my knee,...
emma
Right side chest pain only at night when sleeping
Hi Everyone, I've done some research, and have found...
SconsinKid
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
"Medicare Demystified"
A few minutes ago I saw a post from about six weeks...
Lindsey_CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™