how to see why outdoor speaker doesn't work?

stash-hdyNovember 24, 2009

My outdoor speaker stopped working. What and how do I find what failed? The speaker, source or the wires.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

FIRST, check to make sure your source does not have a loose wire or a switch that turns off that speaker port. you can take a known good speaker and hook it to the wires at the source and if it works there hook everythign back normal and hook it up at the nonfunctional speaker. if it works, you have a bad speaker. if not, then you have bad wire. look for a rodent chewed area or a pinched spot where the house settled and the wire was pinched.

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 5:01PM
stash-hdy

The speaker is ok, strange happening though. I have a speaker selector, when the selector is in a down position so I can check connections the speaker works. When I place the selector in a horizontal position back in its storage position pushing the wires back toward the wall it stops working. Seems I have a wire problem. Its a continous run to the speaker there may be a damage somewhere.

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 7:44PM
davidandkasie

does the speaker still work with teh switch in the horizontal postion and NOT pushed back? if so then the damage is right there between the unit and the wall. if not, maybe the horizontal position is OFF?

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 9:05PM
stash-hdy

The left side of the two outdoor speakers does not work when the speaker selector box is in a horizontal position. It works when I have the selector pulled out and down to check the connections but when I slide it back in place the speaker does not work. I changed out the wire to the left speaker yesterday and that did not resolve the issue. I also moved the speaker wires to an unused set of terminals and that did not resolve the issue. Acts the same. Installed new pin connectors and that did not resolve the issue. Very baffeled

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Midcentury decor - suggestions for media stand
My son has a very large flat screen TV with components...
bichonlover3
TV over gas fireplace
We are mounting a 65 inch over a gas fireplace , the...
karle13
AV wiring for new build
I'm building a new house and want to put in desired...
mtvhike
plasma tv opinion
i'm thinking of a big screen plasma for my next tv....
jeff-1010
Any advice about a smartwatch
Hello Friends, Has any of you guys been looking at...
venkatd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™