Help! Subwoofer causing granite to crack

deb_nickNovember 24, 2006

My husband has his home theatre set up in a room in the basement. Directly above this room is our kitchen that has granite floors probably set in a concrete bed. I noticed a thin hairline fracture in the granite running from one side of the kitchen to the other. And now there is another new fracture. I suspect the loud vibrations from the home theatre sound system is causing the kitchen floor above it to move thereby causing the fractures. Could anyone suggest what to do to stop the sound/vibrations from travelling upwards to the kitchen floor? Currently, we have the subwoofer on the lowest setting as a temporary solution, but we are losing out on the full theatre experience. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

Do the lights dim in your neighborhood when DH switches on the home theater? :-)

Seriously, that subwoofer would have to be pumping out some serious bass to do that to any floor which was installed properly. If you want to rule out the subwoofer as the cause, you can mount it on something which will "decouple" it from other hard surfaces. Audio places sell synthetic "feet" you can use; you also could put a pillow or towel or yoga pad under the subwoofer. You'll lose some of the "thump" but it at least will confirm or deny that the subwoofer is damaging the floor.

Bookmark   November 24, 2006 at 11:39AM
dim4fun

It is more likely that the weight of people in the kitchen are flexing the floor and causing it to crack. The floor may not be stiff enough. People walking in the kitchen are going to cause more vibration and flex that a subwoofer on a lower floor.

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 10:05AM
glennsfc

Yup. Too much deflection in the granite installation. It has nothing to do with subwoofer vibration.

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Help connecting my DVD recorder to my Vizio Smart TV
I recently purchased a Vizio SmartTV. I am trying to...
don_na_na
Smart Home - Need Help Keeping It Simple
We are roughing in our new build. A little late to...
mamabearjd
Wireless cable/satellite boxes?
We are planning on putting our TV above our gas fireplace....
broston2
DVR with disk burner?
I'd like to buy a hard disk recorder to record over...
ionized_gw
Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?
Hello, I've read that some jurisdictions require that...
tigerninety
Sponsored Products
Compamia Aruba Resin Wicker Lounge Chair with Optional Cushion - Set of 2 - COMP
$350.00 | Hayneedle
Duck Covers Patio Rectangular Table & Chair Set Cover With Optional Rechargeable
$78.95 | Hayneedle
Mont Blanc Kitchen Waterbrook Dual Mount Composite Granite 33x22x9 0-Hole
Home Depot
Captain America 18-Oz. Tumbler
$8.99 | zulily
Pewter Whitehaus WHFH-H4640 Deck Mount Traditional Kitchen Hot Water Dispenser
$249.00 | Blue Bath
Ivory Herringbone Jute Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Geiger Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Wells Sinkware 18-gauge Double Bowl Topmount Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink