'Wood' flooring pattern

tessaduncanJuly 1, 2013

We're actually having porcelain tile that looks like wood installed in our kitchen/dining. Tile guy asked what pattern we wanted - stacked, 1/3 offset, or random. We just never thought about that before & have to decide by tomorrow.
The style will be contemporary/casual. Please help this design-challenged couple.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

What size is the tile? Long tiles, like 24" or longer are recommended to either do a stacked pattern (modern look), or 1/3 offset (traditional), or herringbone (transitional). If you did random, there would be some lippage because the large format tiles tend to have a bit of droop in the middle. That makes the ends stick up just a hair. Enough so that if you're prone to tripping, you might.

The herringbone can be a bit busy visually, but it depends on the tile and grout and how close they match and how much color variation is in the tile.

The stacked bondis a great look to use in a modern or transitional space, especially with some contrast of something rustic and aged next to it.

Even the 1/3 offset can be more contemporary with a more modern color choice like something in the gray family.

There's also the basketweave, which can echo the look of parquet on a big scale.
There are others as well.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:03PM
tessaduncan

Thanks. Never even thought of stacked.The light tan tile is "Vallelunga Tile - Tabula Tile 6" X 36" - Miele" (to contrast our peppercorn cabinets). I'm leaning toward random because we want it to look like it's actually wood. Our tile guy is supposed to be top-notch. Would lippage be a problem for a pro?

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:18PM
GreenDesigns

Lippage with large format tile is a function of the tile size. Yes, a good setter can probably minimize that slightly, but would need to use a deeper thinset bed and take a lot more time. More time is more money. Non recommended layouts also leave you without warranty support. Read the manufacturer's recommendations for tile that size. 1/3 offset is usually what is recommended by the manufacturer to minimize the lippage issues that come with long tiles.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
3/8 vs 1/2 inch thick engineered hardwood for staple down installation
We are trying to decide between two similar engineered...
chellefnp
Carpet removal cost seems high, is it?
I got a quote for new carpet in a new-to-me house....
prettybluehouse
Question for Medium Brown Stained Hardwood Floor Owners
We are having our red oak hardwood floors sanded down....
clwguy
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
Sponsored Products
Armen Living Martini 26 in. Low Back Counter Stool - LC7015BABL26
$249.30 | Hayneedle
56" Fanimation Bayhill Venetian Bronze Lighted Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Hyperion Chrome Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Miss Passion Baby Pink Wallpaper R1457, double roll
Walls Republic
Veyron Ceiling Fan by Savoy House
$458.00 | Lumens