Distributed video over RF

memarcusOctober 2, 2008

I am planning for structured wiring system of my house. so far I only have a CCTV signal that I would like to distribute (in addition to CATV). Is this as simple as using a 3in/8out distribution amp or is there more to it?

Also in viewing the signals, will you just flip to one channel for the CATV (and then change channels using CATV box) and flip to another channel on the RF to view the other distributed signals?

I am having 2+2 composite cable all over the place but would like to keep the CCTV on one of the RF lines. I would like to keep the CAT lines for data and other A/V distribution, such as AV reciever in the theatre room. I know I can send over the CAT5e lines with baluns and such but so far it looks like the cheapest and simplest option is over the RF line combined with the CATV signal.

Is there any problems with this or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chris8796

You need a video modulator. You can then modulate any video signal to whatever channel you want. You just have to make sure the frequency associated with that channel is clear on the CATV line. This a is were a problem may occur. Most cable systems are hybrid with part of the signals analog and part digitial. In my case 2-63 was analog 64-124 was for digital channels. I used a notch filter to remove channels 64-70 and put back the CCTV as channel 66. This worked well for me since all the TVs it fed only had analog tuners and only received channels 2-63 +66. If I wanted a cable box for the higher channels, I would lose whatever had been broadcast in 64-70 region.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Any advice about a smartwatch
Hello Friends, Has any of you guys been looking at...
venkatd
What TV Antenna to Get?
I live in greater Princeton area, so considered it...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
TV over gas fireplace
We are mounting a 65 inch over a gas fireplace , the...
karle13
Need help buying a popcorn machine for Media Room
I am trying to buy a popcorn machine for our family...
leibrook
Help with mounting a TV in my Breakfast Nook
Hi all, The photo above is the Breakfast Nook in my...
mwkbear
Sponsored Products
Franklin Loveseat - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
AF Lighting Naples 8350-4H Mini Chandelier - Clear - 8350-4H
$138.00 | Hayneedle
30'' x 40'' Dewkist Wally Whale Printed Baby Throw
$19.99 | zulily
American Drew Tribecca Rectangular Console Table - 912-925
$580.00 | Hayneedle
Robins Egg Frontier Wool Area Rug
$179.99 | zulily