cable signal amplifier

blakeasOctober 27, 2007

My bonus room above the garage is at the far end of the house. When I hook a TV into the cable outlet I get a very weak picture. After sorting through the cables in the attic it looks like it has been split along with being such a long run. Is their such a thing like a cable signal booster? any suggestions on boosting the cable signal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
turningcolorz

Signal amplifiers are availabe at hardware stores and home centers.
They will usually carry the Phillips, or RCA brand. Both are good, and provide about 10 db of gain, they also make a 20db version. You may have to experiment with where it should be placed in the circuit, but generally it will go at the beginning of a long cable run. These are boadband amplifiers that will boost tv and cable signals. If you have cable tv and use the internet on that same cable, you will need a more specific type called a "bi-directional" amp.
This type boosts the signal coming in and going out, so you can reach the internet.

Hope that helps,
Mike - TurningColorz

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 9:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gail618

Our cable company put one on for us - you might want to call them and tell them about your problem and they might just put one on for you. We use Cox.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?
Hello, I've read that some jurisdictions require that...
tigerninety
4k or uhd tv
Has anyone here bought a 4K (Ultra High Definition)...
dodge59
Upgrading speakers in FR -- stick with Bose?
We do most of our TV viewing in our Family Room. Recently...
Janice742
plasma tv opinion
i'm thinking of a big screen plasma for my next tv....
jeff-1010
AV wiring for new build
I'm building a new house and want to put in desired...
mtvhike
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™