complex process

musicteacherJuly 25, 2011

There are three hardworking men at my house. After moving furniture, they removed the carpet, broke up and removed 40 feet of tile, which left a very rugged, broken looking floor. After carting all that off they started cleaning: first sweeping up piles of under-carpet dirt, then scrubbing with some wet solution (taped off other rooms first) Applied leveling compound to close to half of the floor, and scraped it flat as it dried, and one of them is now undercutting the fireplace brick so the wood can slide underneath. They are talking cheerfully as they work, but I wouldn't be - had I decided to do this myself. This is way harder than just "click it together" like the diy stores lead you to believe. There is furniture piled in front of my refrigerator, garage door, a grand piano wedged between two couches. Imagine this going on for months if I were doing it myself. These guys have some serious equipment and some serious muscle and energy, and I am grateful - even if right now I am stuck in a bedroom for an hour with wet compound puddles right outside my door. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Thank you for being so appreciative of us in the flooring installation "trade".

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 6:28PM
musicteacher

Today was stage 2, I hope these guys didn't mind, but I was fascinated watching them work. Even applying the glue to the slab looked like artwork. Every two feet or so they would measure and pop a new like, lay the glue on in overlapping rainbows, set the wood in, measure again, rubber hammer, and so on. They taped the boards together, put wedges along the wall edges, etc. They are even putting the felt protectors on the bottoms of all my furniture before moving it onto the floor, and are even replacing my 950 pound piano with the special little dollies they have. I was going to have to pay a piano mover $100 to do that. I am so impressed with these guys, that even though I am the worlds biggest penny pincher, I'd like to give them a tip for doing such an outstanding job. What do you think would be reasonable?

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 12:52AM
glennsfc

I don't know...that $100 now burning a hole in your pocket might be a possibility...

Difficult to say what would be appropriate. There is no 'standard' when it comes to rewarding an honest and skilled craftsperson.

What do others suggest?

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 8:21AM
More Discussions
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
natural red oak floors with natural cherry kitchen cabinets
Hi, all. Looking for feedback from anyone who has natural...
hjs
Feedback on Shaw Resort Versailles LVT
Looking for feedback from folks who have installed...
nessabea
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™