What wood best for humidity fluctuations?

momo7July 31, 2012

We're building a new house but we won't have air conditioning so in the summer it will be humid and in the winter a lot dryer.

My builder has suggested using 2-1/4" wide flooring in order to minimize cupping but I was wondering if any type of wood might be better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
UniqueWoodFloor

I would consider some dimensional stable wood species,such as Burmese teak, domestic Walnut, Santos Mahogany, etc. Staying in 2-1/4" boards helps. I don't think the 3" will perform much difference with the more stable wood. Quality engineered wood floorings should be considered if stability is the main concern.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 3:38PM
brickeyee

Quarter sawn wood move in thickness mostly.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:37PM
momo7

Thank you UniqueWoodFloor and brickeyee, we're going to pick out flooring tomorrow, hopefully, so we'll bring these suggestions with us and see what they have - and what we can afford.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:16PM
NWFACP

Quarter sawn hardwood will expand and contract approx 1/2 as much as flat sawn wood. You will have to ask a dealer but most won't know what you are talking about. LL for sure! I would suggest purchasing Charles Peterson's book Wood Flooring by Charles Peterson I obtained it at amazon.com. about $30 you will get it in a few days. Most important thing is proper moisture content of wood and subfloor if not you can have real problems.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for Beach House Flooring
Building a 2500 SF house and 500 SF carriage house...
cobbyw
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™