Can a virus manifest itself as acne?

jennMarch 12, 2005

Last week my husband had a large and very painful pimple inside his nose. It lasted for more than a week. Now I have one on my cheek next to my nose. It's worse than anything I had as a teenager (I had mild acne back then) -- it's red, painful, and ugly.

I'm wondering if it's possible for a virus to manifest itself in ways other than sniffles etc -- such as acne, painful muscles in an isolated area, etc. I've always heard it said that a virus can "settle in a muscle" or some other area. Does anyone know if this can be true? I'm skeptical of that but we don't know everything there is to know about the human body so anything is possible.

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeaBee4

It's more likely that it's a bacteria causing it. sounds more like a boil than acne. If it doesn't clear up soon or if you get more of them, it might be a good idea to see your doctor or a dermatologist to get a prescription strength antibiotic cream. Don't mash it as you will just make the bacteria spread to other places.

Bookmark   March 14, 2005 at 9:08AM
gandbb

I agree with PeaBee. A pimple in or near the nose is not to be taken lightly. Infections can easily work their way up from the nose to the brain - not a pretty thought. If it should open I would at the very least put neosporin on it.

Bookmark   March 14, 2005 at 10:26PM
chinacat_sunflower

no- the only virus I know of to cause any kind of eruption is herpes, and they're crusty, not boil-like...

in your husband's case, it could have been an impacted or ingrown hair that got infected...and in your case, fussing over your husband, and scratching your nose could have done it... if they are even related incidents.

since yours is in a place where you can see it, a hot compress followed up by a dot of neosporin (or lavendar oil, if you're organic) is your best bet.

I might add that, as a chronic sinus 'ick' sufferer, the chances of an infection spreading past your sinuses is dreadfully rare.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
I have RLS (Restless Leg syndrome) .... anyone else taking this drug ?
Anyone suffering with Restless Leg syndrome? I have...
vieja_gw
Chronic Chapped Lips
I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since...
ms_minnamouse
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
"Medicare Demystified"
A few minutes ago I saw a post from about six weeks...
Lindsey_CA
Sponsored Products
DeLonghi Portable Air Conditioner and Heater
$999.00 | FRONTGATE
Tech Lighting Fluid Small 6" Round Nickel Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
Mies Bed
| Italy Design
Column Nickel-Plated Copper Pedestal Sink
Signature Hardware
Rizzy Home Applique with Embroidery Details Decorative Throw Pillow - Travel Mul
$22.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Cambridge Silver/Ivory 3 ft. x
Home Depot
iTouchless 13-gallon Square Extra-wide Opening Trash Can
Overstock.com
Furniture of America 5-shelf Shoe Cabinet with Two Upper Storage Bins
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™