Washing hands with bleach?!

PhoenixRainMarch 21, 2006

My husband washes his hands everyday in bleach to clean them. I have looked for any health concerns about this and have found none. Does bleach eat the skin and is it damaging his skin?

Thanks for the info

~PhoenixRain~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenn

Does the bleach bottle have a warning label? I'd be surprised if it doesn't say something about being irritating to skin. Google on "clorox bleach" + skin, and see if that turns up anything.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 1:22AM
Meghane

Bleach will kill all the beneficial bacteria on the skin, allowing him to be susceptible to nasty bacterial infections. Bleach also damages the skin, so he has a worse chance of becoming infected. Bleach vapors are damaging to lungs as well, so breathing while doing this isn't a good idea.

Very few people need to use anything stronger than good old fashioned soap (not antibacterial) and water to clean their hands. People are not supposed to be in a bacteria-free environment; we are supposed to be in balance with certain bacteria that protect us from pathogenic ones. He's destroying the natural balance that is in place to protect him.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bleach material safety data sheet

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 12:11PM
michelle_s_phxaz

I agree with Meghane, your husband is harming himself more than helping. Using regular soap and rubbing his hands together for 15-20 seconds before rinsing is enough to get his hands clean and gets rid of most of the bad bacteria. If he wants more, get some of the hand sanitizing gel. It is formulated to kill bacteria but is gentler than bleach.

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
Any help for balance problems?
I hope someone can relate. I have terrible balance...
phoggie
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™