Help Chafing Dish Burner Won't Light!

mayfirstAugust 17, 2007

I have a beautiful silver plated chafing dish which I recently inherited. I am at my wit's end trying to light the burner that comes with it. I have purchased two types of chafing dish/fondue fuels without success. I am posting a photo of a burner almost identical to mine. It is a round silver plated container with a screw in top which holds the wick. There is a long handle attached to this top which regulates the amount of height that the wick extends. I assume that closing it completely is intended to extinguish the flame but the darn thing will not light at all. I have trimmed the wick on both ends and it is plenty long enough to soak into the fuel. The part sticking up is wet. What am I doing wrong? AGGHH

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Dish with Burner

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clg7067

Hmmm, must be the wiring. Just kidding ya, this is an electronics type of forum. :) I'll bet the Kitchen Forum folks can help you out.

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 1:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

No idea how I stumbled on this post....but I did!
The burner you showed is an alcohol burner....needs fuel to burn. You need to buy "chafing dish fuel" or denatured alcohol and remove the lid of the thing-ey that holds the wick...pour some in, replace the top....wait a few minutes for it to soak up into the wick and then light it.
That little cone shaped doo-dah is the douter....the snuffer...the thing that puts out the flame.
Looks like a lovely chafing dish!
Linda C

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
Public Broadcast TV Channels
I'm behind with the technologies so here I need some...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
AV wiring for new build
I'm building a new house and want to put in desired...
mtvhike
Great solution for mounting TV over fireplace
Hi all, We just moved into a new house and unfortunately,...
chorchie
Seeking layout suggestions
So we are not fond of our current media setup in our...
tkstock
Nielson Ratings
Has anyone been chosen to do the Neilson Ratings? I...
berk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™