Where to put speakers -- for music and movies?

GreenHighlighterAugust 12, 2013

Hello,

I'm totally coming into this late in the process. We're in the process of remodeling our house, and we thought that speakers would all go in the ceiling, so we had them wire for that and then haven't thought about it since. Now our contractor wants our speakers, so I'm doing research now.

We want two main things:
- speakers to play music for when we're just around the house
- speakers to play sound for movies, TV shows

We have three main TV/movie watching areas: family room, a basement play room, and the master bedroom. And then want speakers for music for those three areas, plus the great room and kitchen.

We had them prewire the ceilings for those rooms, but now I've found out that ceiling speakers are good for music but not for movies! So, what do you do if you want both? Do people put speakers in their ceiling AND their walls?? We're not audiophiles, but do enjoy good sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brent

GreenHighlighter,

It would be good to know what kind of budget you are working with, and what kind of equipment that you are dealing with; for example, what amplifier are you using for the ceiling speakers and how many zones that this amp can run, and how many sources can you draw from with this amp.

I agree with the statement that ceiling speakers are good for background music and not for movies.
I like main speakers into the room (left and right mains) for movies with a sub-woofer and wall mounted surround speakers.

I would treat listening to background music and watching movies differently.

hth

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 12:22PM
cparlf

I've learned that "good" to "better" ceiling speakers are better for surround sound than for music. We are waiting until we can afford the right speakers to do both. Ceiling speakers in this range are $250 + each, not per pair. A little steep for us at the moment, so our Polk bookshelf speakers are filling in.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:53PM
Brent

I would suggest that for surround sound speakers that on-wall speakers are best instead of in-ceiling, they move the sound around the room much better by handing off the sound of one speaker to the next.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 10:19PM
jeff-1010

you can buy purpose made speaker stands for home theater if you don't like them on the wall.
everyone's right in that there's a big difference between music and a h/t source.

Bookmark   December 2, 2014 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.
Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound...
bafeuer
What TV Antenna to Get?
I live in greater Princeton area, so considered it...
redsun9
Which Gaming System is the Best: Game Cube, Play Station or XBox?
Which do you think is the best and why? What games...
cupofkindness
any use of ntsc tv tuner
I still have a NTSC TV tuner for the computer. With...
redsun9
TV over gas fireplace
We are mounting a 65 inch over a gas fireplace , the...
karle13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™