Review on Taun wood

itspepsicoJuly 21, 2014

Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring?

We are looking for dark flooring and we really liked "Taun Sambuca" but have never heard of the wood. I know it is an exotic wood from Asia and is harder than Oak or Maple with Janaka rating of 1900.

But how is the wood on long run with low-mid rough usage?
How does it react to water?
How does it react to continuous sunlight?
How does it takes the scratches, any polishes that can be used to buff up the scratches?

My builder is little worried about the wood as he has never used this product.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Anything shiny and dark is difficult to live with from a dust and dirt and scratches showing standpoint. Not familiar with the wood itself, but turn that sample board on it's side and take a look at the composition layers and thicknesses. And milling quality. Those are where the rubber meets the road.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:00AM
jefflop

I am looking at the same wood. Did you go with this? the color on the sample that you have shows a "color variation" - "moderate to high". I have the same sample but it shows a consistent dark color. Please let me know. I am about to order 2,000 sq. feet and want to make sure I am getting the right look for my house.

Bookmark   last Thursday at 6:36AM
PRO
Unique Wood Floors

"Tuan" is also called "Pometia". It is a fairly hardwood with a Janka rating close to Hickory's. But its more fine grains do not hide the scratches as well as Hickory. The higher gloss and finer finish can make it vulnerable to imperfection. A select grade floor made with Tuan should not have many variations, especially with a darker stain. Here is a picture to show you the variances on a dark stained Tuan.

Bookmark   last Thursday at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Solid or engineered wood treads on stairs
I'm in the middle of a major home renovation, which...
swguru
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?
I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno...
laurarenos7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™