Outdoor Speakers - Help!

johnmar88July 6, 2007

Hi. When I built my new house I had the builder run a set of speaker wires through my wall and out to my patio in my backyard.

My question is: can I use this single set of wires to run more than one set of speakers? (i.e., 4 speakers).

I would like to have a set of outdoor speakers by the pool as well as by the patio. We have a fairly large backyard and I'm concerned that I would have to "crank up" the volume to hear the sound from across the yard.

Can I just split the signal and run 2 set of wires to 2 separate areas?

Thanks!

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

It depends on the speakers and on whatever (receiver/amp/etc.) is driving them. Speakers present a load to the amplifier; that load varies depending on the design of the speakers and the sound frequency. Amplifiers differ on their ability to handle lower loads. Some cheaper amps (receivers) will cut out or shut off when presented with low loads. Others won't mind at all.

So it is kind of specific to what equipment you're going to use. Generally speaking, though, what you want to do will present a load that many amplifiers won't be able to handle.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 1:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

You might find it will work better to use the existing wires to run a 70v pre-amp signal from your indoor amplifier to a separate outdoor amplifier. Then the outdoor amplifier can control the volume of the outdoor speakers, sepatately from the indoor speakers.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Upgrading speakers in FR -- stick with Bose?
We do most of our TV viewing in our Family Room. Recently...
Janice742
DVR with disk burner?
I'd like to buy a hard disk recorder to record over...
ionized_gw
Need help buying a popcorn machine for Media Room
I am trying to buy a popcorn machine for our family...
leibrook
any use of ntsc tv tuner
I still have a NTSC TV tuner for the computer. With...
redsun9
White flat-screen TV
We are looking for a white flat-screen 32-40 inch LED...
sleers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™