Great room speaker placement

elginagentJuly 24, 2006

Hi, We're building new and until our basement gets finished with a media room, we need to hard wire surround speakers in our great room. It's about 20 X 17 with a 13 foot ceiling. Our big screen will be against one wall and the issue is placement of the speakers. I know that they could be hung from the ceiling but I'm thinking that the sound will be projected above our heads instead of behind. Is there a better way to configure this?

Will the sound be the same if the speakers are pointed downward toward our heads? If you can't tell, I'm a novice at this. Thanks for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

Almost every speaker's sound will vary as you change your position relative to it, and usually for the worse. I would not recommend hanging speakers from the ceiling; the fact that you will be "off-axis" even if you point them at the seating areas) will distort the sound somewhat. I think your best bet is to choose one of the following: simply run wires to speakers mounted on stands (if you have the room); install speakers in the wall at ear level for most listeners (not hard to do since you're building new); or run cabling to some wall-mount brackets which would hold the speakers in good locations (may not be optimal since some speakers don't sound their best very close to a wall).

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Seeking layout suggestions
So we are not fond of our current media setup in our...
tkstock
Small Stereo Speakers
I want to buy a pair of small stereo speakers. I am...
john_wc
any use of ntsc tv tuner
I still have a NTSC TV tuner for the computer. With...
redsun9
Midcentury decor - suggestions for media stand
My son has a very large flat screen TV with components...
bichonlover3
Speaker Placement for multiple watching configurations
We have a minor dilemma about where to put our speakers. Our...
Fynite
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™