Refinishing old marmoleum

redesqJuly 26, 2012

Our house was originally built in 1881. Sometime in the early 1920s, a bedroom and sitting room were joined. That room now serves as our family room - which has grey berber carpet in it that is installed on an apparently floating or raised platform over the original flooring.

We bought the house two years ago, and the carpet was badly stained. Considering our boys were 1 and 2 at the time we moved in, we knew stains would be inevitable.

I pried back the carpet in a corner by a heating vent and found that there is beautiful designed grey and black marmoleum (of unknown time - but probably circa 1930s when the room was significantly remodeled). We have a contractor coming to take a look at that room to do a bunch of remodeling next week - but I am wondering about the feasibility of refinishing the marmoleum. I don't know exactly what shape it's in until we have everything out of there and the carpet ripped up so perhaps this is premature, but has anyone had success with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

It might be possible. I have restored genuine linoleum. It involves deep cleaning on hands and knees and then application of an appropriate finish.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 10:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dekeoboe

Please post pictures once you pull back the carpet and expose the linoleum.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™