Question about cancer and secondhand smoke....

carrie630March 7, 2013

I am well into my sixties and haven't been to bars for over 30 years but although I never drank, I did go regularly for over 20 - 22 years before i got married and had a family. Of course, after that we never went to bars where there was a lot of smoke.

I often wonder... do your lungs (which were exposed to a great deal of smoke for years) clear a bit or does that secondhand smoke stay permanently (which may cause cancer later).

I am so mad at myself for attending the smoke filled places (I sang in a band and although never drank (still don't), it was a great social gathering, especially in the sixties). I lived in smoke filled bars for years and now I worry.

Thanks for any response.

Carrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
d0ug

They [Medical society] claim that in a few years your lungs will return to normal after you quit smoking. I can believe that is true because your cells are renewing themselves all the time. If you have been out of a smoky environment for a few years I would think your lungs are back to normal. Bests person to ask is your doctor specially if you have any symptoms

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:15PM
carrie630

Thanks, doug - I hope you are right. I have no symptoms but I was just curious what everyone has either heard or knew for a fact (although we never know about these things for sure)

Thanks

Carrie

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:35AM
emma

It may not cause you any problem. My Sis and her husband smoked all their adult life and never had lung problems. They both drank and no liver problems.

I would not waste a precious minuter worrying about it.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:13PM
goldy

Don"worry "there is nothing you can do about it.Be happy and live one day at a time.My mother died of cirosis and never drank a drop.I drank and smoked "but never inhaled" and don"have cancer.You could be run over by a car.Treat yourself good and the people you meet and go on and have a good day.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
4000 chemicals in cigarette tobacco
there are 43 known carcinogens also. Here's the list!! Anyone...
pawprint1
air purifier, blueair 650E/IQ healthpro plus/whirlpool AP51030K
I am considering buying one or two more air purifiers...
janesylvia
drug addiction
I'm really worried about my son. I think he is addicted...
clairdo2
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
Allergies
I have allergies all year around and nothing I take...
berk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™