Elderly man sticks out tongue

pineviewplanterMarch 14, 2007

During a nursing home ministry visit, I noticed that there were 2 sweet old gentlemen about 80 or maybe a bit more were sitting there listening while our choir sang some lovely gospel music to them. Well, in between songs, they would look off as if deep in thought. All the while, they both would stick out their tongues sort of like licking their lips about every couple of seconds.. almost as if they were eating something...

Is this common ?? And is it a symptom of something?

I ask because I noticed my husband doing something similar a week or two ago... but he has since stopped...

Thanks,

Carolyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

Most likely they had a dry mouth and lips. Water should have been available to them. Many times elderly people do not produce enough saliva to keep the mouth moist.

Dry mouth is very common and there are remedies for the problem.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 5:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

This may be a condition known as Tardive Dyskenesia. It is a side effect of certain antipsychotic medications. It's some times necessary to give some patients drugs of this type so that they can be controled in a nursing home environment. The patients don't seem to be bothered by it, but it is hard to watch. My mother was on it for years and finally developed the condition. She was a problem patient.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Allergies
I have allergies all year around and nothing I take...
berk
4000 chemicals in cigarette tobacco
there are 43 known carcinogens also. Here's the list!! Anyone...
pawprint1
Gluten-free diet may do more harm than good
I'm not sure about you but I've been hearing from friends,...
Konrad___far_north
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™