Can you split the audio off a digi-cable box?

tracey_bJune 10, 2007

We just added our cable's digital package to our menu after getting our new home theater up and running. I picked up an extra digital box for an upstairs TV so we can get the extra channels there too. Anyway, we've discovered we really like the digital music channels, and I was wondering if I can split the audio from the cable box and have sound running to my stereo system too (in addition to the TV)? If so, what cables, etc., will I need.

Thanks!

Tracey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KTKelly

Sure.

Just use the analog output (red/white) for the stereo feed, and the digital output for the Home Theater feed.

You'll want to go to the set up menu, set the output to variable, and then ramp the cable box volume all the way up.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 10:22PM
tracey_b

Hmmmm.....the digital cable box they gave me for our old analog TV doesn't have digital output, only one set of RCA-type (red/white). Can this be split to 2 sources? If so, what type of splitter? I can't seem to find one (maybe I'm not sure at what I'm searching for) that would enable this.

Thank you.
Tracey

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 1:53PM
tracey_b

I think I just figured it out???.....I'll need 2 "Y" splitters, one for the red line and one for the yellow line from which I'll run one from each to the components (TV and stereo). Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Tracey

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 2:01PM
dblees

Yes, Tracy, you have indeed figured it out! I use splitter cables all over the place (limited to one split per signal line), for splitting the audio to/from my computer, TV, etc., and most all of those devices put out a standard "line level" signal that suffers minimally from being distributed somewhat.
(Don't try using those splitters to combine signals, however, as results may be unpredictable...)

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Where to put speakers -- for music and movies?
Hello, I'm totally coming into this late in the process....
GreenHighlighter
DVR with disk burner?
I'd like to buy a hard disk recorder to record over...
ionized_gw
Great solution for mounting TV over fireplace
Hi all, We just moved into a new house and unfortunately,...
chorchie
Seeking layout suggestions
So we are not fond of our current media setup in our...
tkstock
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.
Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound...
bafeuer
Sponsored Products
Chroma Haiku 10 1/4 in. Bread knife - H08
$89.95 | Hayneedle
Bruck | Sierra Sconce
$315.75 | YLighting
Aura Adjustable Round Suspension by Hubbardton Forge
$3,510.00 | Lumens
Hawthorne 8-drawer Chest
Overstock.com
Deluna Leather Chair - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture