outside speakers

timeoutgangJune 26, 2007

Hi guys & gals, my 1st post, so go easy on me. I've bought a cheap pair of outside speakers for my garden. Unfortunately they do not have connectors on the ends where they connect to the appliance, just bare wire. I have a surround sound system that I would like to connect these speakers to & have 2 ports on the back of the subwoofer, marked up as " AUX INPUT". If I buy connectors, can I put them in these ports?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

I'm not even quite sure I understand what you're describing, but it sounds like this:

You have speakers which already have wire attached to them. You say they're "bare wire", though if they are truly bare, they'll oxidize (rust) pretty quickly, so I suspect there really is a sheath around them or you'll be replacing those cables soon.

You have a subwoofer that is part of a surround-sound system ("home theater in a box"). The subwoofer has two connections marked "AUX INPUT". And you want to know if you can connect these speakers to the AUX INPUT.

The short answer is that you can't. "Input" means that an electrical signal is coming from somewhere and going into the subwoofer. You need a signal coming out of the subwoofer (or out of something) to go to the outdoor speakers. There might be something on the surround-sound system labeled "OUTPUT" that is not being used now. You might be able to run cable from that connection to the speakers. But then there is the question of what that signal sounds like and whether it's too powerful or not powerful enough for the speakers you have outside.

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.
Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound...
bafeuer
Public Broadcast TV Channels
I'm behind with the technologies so here I need some...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
AV wiring for new build
I'm building a new house and want to put in desired...
mtvhike
Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?
Hello, I've read that some jurisdictions require that...
tigerninety
Any advice about a smartwatch
Hello Friends, Has any of you guys been looking at...
venkatd
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Kube Downlight 6" High Bronze Wall Light
Lamps Plus
BDI | AvionĀ® Noir Series II Home Theater Cabinet 8937
YLiving.com
Eurostyle Curt Side Chair in Dark Gray - Walnut - Chrome [Set of 2]
Beyond Stores
Seashell Outdoor Planter - Large (29"W)
Grandin Road
Celano Decorative Downrod Sleeve by Fanimation Fans
$85.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Parkdale Rug in Symphony Mineral White Wicker - Cane Wicker, 5' x 8'
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Hamilton Beach 31100 Electric Oven
Overstock.com
Cashmere Bunny Personalized All Star Wagon with Sports Frame - Girl Multicolor -
$108.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™