hooking up a dvd to tv/vcr combo set

bmbrown88May 13, 2009

Hello everyone... I currently own a TV/VCR combo unit and I was wanting to add a DVD player but the TV only has 2 RCA cable plugs yellow(video) & white(audio) but no RED... does this matter or can I just hook the yellow and white and it will work fine?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perqqderqq

That just means that the TV is not capable of stereo. You can hook up a DVD player to it and it will sound just as "good" as the way it does now. Okay you may get only one channel (right or left) technically, and you could combine the channels (go to Radio Shack) and ask for a cable to connect stereo RCA to mono RCA), but I doubt you would notice the difference if you are satisfied with the picture/sound quality you have now with the unit.

- Jim

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 3:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
guido_gardener

That might be correct, but if you only connect one stereo channel, I suppose that you will miss out on some of the audio in stereo movies. If they play a voice only or mainly through the right speaker and you only have the left one connected, I suppose that you won't hear a lot!!

Or maybe check if you can switch your DVD player to mono in some menu, then it will probably mix both channels on one output and at least you'll hear everything.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
plasma tv opinion
i'm thinking of a big screen plasma for my next tv....
jeff-1010
What TV Antenna to Get?
I live in greater Princeton area, so considered it...
redsun9
Help with mounting a TV in my Breakfast Nook
Hi all, The photo above is the Breakfast Nook in my...
mwkbear
4k or uhd tv
Has anyone here bought a 4K (Ultra High Definition)...
dodge59
AV wiring for new build
I'm building a new house and want to put in desired...
mtvhike
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™