Build or buy entertainment center

del_mar_caMay 11, 2006

Ok....I am planning to buy an Samsung DLP and wondering whether to build a dedicated entertainment center unit or to buy entertainment center furniture. This will go into a media niche that that 89W x 24D x 107H (I don't know how to embed a picture here...or I would)

The reason why I ask is that display technology change is so persistent and rapid...that I don't want to get left holding a white elephant that cannot accomodate my future display. Where I would have to remove the built unit because of a new display.

What is everyone's thought on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kcrump

As a cabinetmaker, my thought is to build but make sure you build to accomidate future purchases / upgrades.....

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 2:32AM
cliff_and_joann

If you can build it build it. We built ours in 2 pieces (we also have a 50" Samsung. If we change it down the road, we just have to adjust the top, and we have it already worked out on how to do it. When we purchased our TV in April 05, there wasn't too many enterainment units for big screens, however that has since changed.

You have a nice big space for it, our room was cut in half due to the door in the middle of the room, so I had to design a compact unit. You'll have more designer choices.
We are going to also add a small wall hanging dvd cabinet to match, to the left of the unit. Woodworking is one of our hobbies, we are not pro's.

Joann

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 7:54PM
daninny

IMHO, I think it's better to go with component pieces that offer flexibility. I know of many people who bought/built entertainment centers and then were stuck when they wanted to replace the TV or other components. At least with pieces, it wouldn't be too hard to move things around.
A company I used was Salamander.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salamander Designs

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 4:53PM
del_mar_ca

My decision on the entertainment center (remember...it is within a media niche alcove and not freestanding).

I decided to go with furniture versus a custom built cabinet. Reason is that I was able to find a great looking piece that only has 3" clearance on each side....has excellent legs which elevates the credenza above my Zanella maple wood floors (if I did a custom built, it would have not only hid my floors, but probably damaged it).

What else I like about the furniture piece is that I was able to get away with a different look and feel as I already have built-in bookcases...which I would have had to replicate in terms of style to make the room look right.

Biggest thing for me is that I am concerned that as TVs change...furniture need change. And I feel that I have much more flexibility by going with my furniture.

If someone shares with me how to copy a picture here into the message text...I will share an image of what I did for my entertainment center.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 6:58PM
perky_2

I would like to see your pics
Upload your picture into photobucket.com
under the pic will be three captions
choose tag (click on the white next to tag so that it is highlighted then right click and copy
Paste in your message post

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 9:39AM
dgmarie

My DH is not a fan of a media niche. It seems they are often weird sizes, weird locations, or improperly vented. Can you put a plant in it and move the tv elsewhere?

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 5:15PM
dkaunitz

There are some really nice all wood options that I found...

Here is a link that might be useful: TV stands

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
DVR with disk burner?
I'd like to buy a hard disk recorder to record over...
ionized_gw
Need help buying a popcorn machine for Media Room
I am trying to buy a popcorn machine for our family...
leibrook
Speaker Placement for multiple watching configurations
We have a minor dilemma about where to put our speakers. Our...
Fynite
Upgrading speakers in FR -- stick with Bose?
We do most of our TV viewing in our Family Room. Recently...
Janice742
Which Gaming System is the Best: Game Cube, Play Station or XBox?
Which do you think is the best and why? What games...
cupofkindness
Sponsored Products
Lithonia Lighting 16 in. LED Scroll Sign SGNSCR
Home Depot
Vondom | Sabinas Sofa Illuminated
YLiving.com
Uptown Brushed Nickel Four-Light Bath Fixture
$327.80 | Bellacor
Heritage Black One-Light Outdoor Wall Light
$102.95 | Bellacor
12-oz. Tumblers
Grandin Road