XP: Encaustic Tile Floor &/or End-Block Wood Flooring

JBGBJuly 13, 2012

I'm posting this in Kitchens also - wondering whether anyone has recent experience w/ either encaustic (cement) floor tiles or end-block wood flooring in their kitchen (or elsewhere)? I LOVE color & pattern, and keep returning to photos of encaustic tile floors - I know that tile has all the comfort issues but wonder about other specific real-world experience with encaustic: maintenance, etc. Villa Lagoon is one seller I've found - they have an amazing online tool that you can use to experiment w/ customizing colors in a huge variety of designs - like coloring book pages - & then set up tiles in any arrangement w/ borders, etc. It's addictive - to me, anyway! I'm including a link to their home page.

On the other hand, DH & I saw a floor in a hotel we stayed at that I was fascinated by (both the hotel & the floor!) - it was end-block wood laid like bricks in a herringbone pattern, & it was gorgeous. Found a company in MA (Kaswell) that manufactures this & seems to have provided it to lots of places - apparently it's an old-time product that's become newly appreciated. Was used in the past for street paving & factory floors, so is presumably durable. Again, probably not of interest to most of you ("timeless" in a different way, maybe?!), but wondering if anybody here has used or considered it? Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Villa Lagoon Tile

More Discussions
Flooring for road noise - Carpet or LVT
Hi Everyone, We are looking into replacing our entire...
houston70sranch
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™