XP: Encaustic Tile Floor &/or End-Block Wood Flooring

JBGBJuly 13, 2012

I'm posting this in Kitchens also - wondering whether anyone has recent experience w/ either encaustic (cement) floor tiles or end-block wood flooring in their kitchen (or elsewhere)? I LOVE color & pattern, and keep returning to photos of encaustic tile floors - I know that tile has all the comfort issues but wonder about other specific real-world experience with encaustic: maintenance, etc. Villa Lagoon is one seller I've found - they have an amazing online tool that you can use to experiment w/ customizing colors in a huge variety of designs - like coloring book pages - & then set up tiles in any arrangement w/ borders, etc. It's addictive - to me, anyway! I'm including a link to their home page.

On the other hand, DH & I saw a floor in a hotel we stayed at that I was fascinated by (both the hotel & the floor!) - it was end-block wood laid like bricks in a herringbone pattern, & it was gorgeous. Found a company in MA (Kaswell) that manufactures this & seems to have provided it to lots of places - apparently it's an old-time product that's become newly appreciated. Was used in the past for street paving & factory floors, so is presumably durable. Again, probably not of interest to most of you ("timeless" in a different way, maybe?!), but wondering if anybody here has used or considered it? Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Villa Lagoon Tile

More Discussions
Carpet on concrete..what is proper installation?
Want to install carpeting on cement slab foundation,...
slc2053
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
EZ Lay Vinyl Plank Reviews?
We are looking at installing the Tiramisu EZ Lay Vinyl...
kyorkston
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
3/8 vs 1/2 inch thick engineered hardwood for staple down installation
We are trying to decide between two similar engineered...
chellefnp
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: Stitches Beige 5' 3" x 8'
Home Depot
Sample-Iridescent Carnival Bricks Glass Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Aztec Frieze Rug 4' x 6'
$899.00 | Horchow
Wood Tall Floor Lamp Unique Design Big Bulb-Stripe Pattern
ParrotUncle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Blue 4 ft. x 6
Home Depot
Couristan 3077-0016 Five Seasons Cream Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 307700161
$19.00 | Hayneedle
Garton Medallion Rug 8' x 10'
$3,599.00 | Horchow
Green Palm Trees Natural Texture Rug
$19.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™