urgent advice on home theater screen

myrnabirdieMay 5, 2009

We have to decide between Vutec Elegante 110" fixed screen vs Screen Innovation reference series 110" fixed screen by tomorrow. Cost for Vutec is quoted as $900.00 and SI as $1800. I would like to go with Vutec simply due to cost. But if there are advantages of SI, I could do it since the screen would be for a while.

The room is dedicated home theater with dark brown wall and cealing and carpet. The windows will have black out blinds. It is a large room with two rows of chairs.

Thanks for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Have you sent out for screen samples?

I received samples from a few companies when I was screen shopping. All were free. Even though I requested just a couple from some manufacturers, then sent an entire packet will samples of all of their screen materials. Most were in the 10" to 12" square range.

I taped them all up as one large screen and turned on the projector. We slowly whittled things down until we had a winner that performed best in all viewing conditions.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 1:34AM
mamabearpapabear

Wow, what a great idea. Are you willing to share the companies you were able to get a free sample from?

Thanks

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 8:36AM
mongoct

Dalite, Stewart, and Carada.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 12:22PM
gsenthil

What projector are you using?

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 2:47PM
mongoct

I have a Panasonic AX-100U. Not 1080, it's 720.

Known as a "light cannon" when it came out several year ago, at 2000 lumens it's very bright. There's a known problem with this projector regarding the auto dynamic iris. It tends to stick.

Shutting off the dynamic iris doesn't help, for when you turn the projector on it undergoes an "auto check" of the iris, and if it sticks during the auto check the projector automatically shuts down.

Mine did start sticking after about 18 months. I took mine apart and did a home made repair that has held up ever since.

I've had my projector for almost 4 years now, and I'm still on the original bulb. Maybe 2300 hours on it.

It's performed wonderfully over the years, and still puts out a great picture today, even with the well-used bulb.

I'm at the stage now where I know the bulb will go one day. I'm trying to decide on getting a replacement bulb for $400 or a new projector.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
Need help buying a popcorn machine for Media Room
I am trying to buy a popcorn machine for our family...
leibrook
4k or uhd tv
Has anyone here bought a 4K (Ultra High Definition)...
dodge59
Internet choices few
For my under-construction home, I have few internet...
mtvhike
DVR with disk burner?
I'd like to buy a hard disk recorder to record over...
ionized_gw
What do I need to know to buy a wall mount?
I have been looking at a swivel wall mount for a new...
redcurls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™