questions about receivers...

mdmomof3May 25, 2009

Sorry, but I am a bit tech unsavy and I am not sure if I am getting fleeced by the company doing the install. (Yes I have trust issues).

We are building and have gotten 3 quotes for whole house wiring and a theater room. They ranged from 18k to 30k and I cant tell the difference. We are getting whole house audio, with 6 zones (just the controls with volume), 7.1 theater set up, and a exercise room wired separate with an ipod dock.

So far, the recs are for a Denon AVR-3808CI, AVR 1901 or a Yamaha RXV663 receiver. There are all considerably different in price but no one will tell me what is the biggest bang for the buck. My husband is not tech savy either, so we just need and on/off switch and the ability to play movies, CDs and listen to the radio. The installer say that we can purcharse our own compenents but seem to push towards the more expensive, not sure we need all of the options since we wont be using them anytime soon.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gsenthil

Go with the Yamaha - they probably get more commission on the higher end components. Stay away from Harman Kardon - they seem to have reliability issues.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 2:43PM
mdmomof3

thanx for the help. yamaha it is.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 6:54PM
mongoct

I'm a little late to this party, but some receivers are better at music, some better at theater.

For music and home theater, I think the Denon is a better all around product. It does both very well.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 10:35PM
twothumbz

I think Denon receivers tend to have a brighter sound, while Yamahas are more mellow and subtle, but you can't go wrong with either, both are great brands.

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 11:40AM
lovinghusband

Of the models listed, I would easily recommend the Denon. The Yamaha model listed is a slightly older model at about half the cost of the Denon model, not really an apples to apples comparison. Try reading some reviews at the link below to find out what features you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: CNET reviews

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Speaker Placement for multiple watching configurations
We have a minor dilemma about where to put our speakers. Our...
Fynite
Wireless cable/satellite boxes?
We are planning on putting our TV above our gas fireplace....
broston2
plasma tv opinion
i'm thinking of a big screen plasma for my next tv....
jeff-1010
Public Broadcast TV Channels
I'm behind with the technologies so here I need some...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Help with mounting a TV in my Breakfast Nook
Hi all, The photo above is the Breakfast Nook in my...
mwkbear
Sponsored Products
$30 for a 20'' x 24'' Wrapped Canvas
$30.00 | zulily
Sea Gull Lighting Combo Remote Control Kit in White Finish 16007-15
Home Depot
Bulbrite Frosted Long Life General Service Incandescent Light Bulb - 24 pk. Mult
$143.76 | Hayneedle
Cleo Layered-Look Pillow - MULTI COLORS
$240.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Ziggler Collection Multi 5 ft. x
Home Depot
Bourbon Pecan Pie - BROWN
$65.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™