Recess Rear Projection TV Project

mboganMay 5, 2007

I have a rear projection tv that I would like to recess in to the wall in a finished basement. In addition, I want to add custom shelves for componants and / books to the each side.

I am looking for any ideas or pictures of what anyone else may have done.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgmarie

I would suggest not doing it. Removing heat from around the TV will be difficult if the TV is completely enclosed. In addition, when this TV eventually needs to be replaced you will be stuck trying to find a replacement that fits the particular dimensions of the hole you have created. There are lots of folks now with 4:3 32" holes and most of the new TVs are 16:9 and much bigger than 32". A better idea would be to surface mount an LCD or plasma TV to the face of the wall.

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 11:28PM
jimisham

I don't know what kind of rear projection TV you have, but I've noticed that the DLP sets seem to put out less heat compared to the others.
We haven't bought one yet, but when we do we will have to take into consideration that there is a thermostat near the back of the TV, so the DLP is the route we will probably take.
As far as recessing it into the wall, I agree with dgmarie.
We made that mistake 34 years ago by recessing in a wall, a TV built to be put into walls.
Well, over the years styles, shapes and sizes change. We couldn't easily repair the hole in the wall because the top half of the hole was surrounded by wallpaper and the bottom half was paneling. What we ended up having to do was put in a built-in bookcase where the hole was.

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 12:40PM
KTKelly

Dear god....

Shoot me now....

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
White flat-screen TV
We are looking for a white flat-screen 32-40 inch LED...
sleers
Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?
Hello, I've read that some jurisdictions require that...
tigerninety
Speaker Placement for multiple watching configurations
We have a minor dilemma about where to put our speakers. Our...
Fynite
Public Broadcast TV Channels
I'm behind with the technologies so here I need some...
redsun9
4k or uhd tv
Has anyone here bought a 4K (Ultra High Definition)...
dodge59
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™